It is May, the month we celebrate mothers or other women who have been inspirational in your life. There are so many people I know who are “non-traditional” moms but are making a huge impact in many young lives. I think about people who are step-moms, single moms, foster moms, and women who don’t have children but have been guardians and helped with my kids so many times. I also think of youth group leaders, coaches, and women who impact our kids or others’ kids, and those “moms” get overlooked at times.
This time of year can be hard for many if they have lost their mom, or are trying to become one but it just has not happened, so this is just a reminder to be sensitive and celebrate all the women who impact and aid in our kids’ lives every day! Make sure you celebrate and tell those people in your life how much you appreciate them not just on Mother’s Day but all year!
Here are a few simple ideas to honor your mom or non-traditional moms.
- Write a special letter to her detailing what she means what and has done for you. For a bonus, have your child do this also and add it to the envelope.
- Surprise her with a home-cooked meal. It is so awesome to have someone cook for you and give you the night off.
- If you know her favorite place- go with her! Maybe it’s a local nursery or restaurant. Maybe it is a salon or spa. You can book her favorite service- facial, manicure, pedicure, or massage!
- Frame a special picture of you all, write a kind message on the back, and hand-deliver it to her.
- Do something active with her— maybe an early morning walk or bike ride. Taker her to her favorite hiking trail or simply walk around the neighborhood. A little exercise and quality time will do you both good!
- Maybe your mom is far away, so remember to ship them a little something like flowers, or a small box of different teas or coffees you know they might like. Maybe they love to read and you know their favorite author just released a new book— let her know it will be shipped to her as soon as it is released! Your gift does not have to be big. Sometimes it is just nice getting something in the mail that is not a bill!
Just remember, no matter what, there are a lot of women out there who might be nontraditional moms but are sharing “the toughest job in the world” and getting very little credit for it. That word “mother” looks different for us all, so be kind and thoughtful this year and remember that Rhimix Salon and Spa is here to help you with any pampering needs you might have for your mom or loved one.